Friends, Family, and Members of Knoxville Pres.
We pray this email finds you doing well. Just wanted to take a moment and remind you of a few things:
- Christmas Baskets: This week we have two opportunities to volunteer with the Knoxville Council of Churches: Today and Tomorrow at the Legion. We, Sarah and I, won't be able to make it today, but you should see one of us there tomorrow. If you have time, come on out and serve.
- Advent Week 2: Last week we talked about the idea of Peace. The meditation we landed on was like a yin/yang perspective. The first meditation was around the art of lament and the second was about recognizing the good.
- Art of Lament: We asked all of us to take stock of our own lives and name how we may be contributing to 'unpeace' or chaos through the way we live. The examples we gave were about over-consumption, ignorance of and participation in unethical supply chains, ecological destruction, taking advantage of people, not slowing down enough to pay attention to those around you who may be less fortunate, etc, etc. The call for lament is to first name it rather than excuse or deny it, the second was to repent of it. This doesn't mean to say "I'm sorry" and keep on doing it, it means to change our ways.
- Recognizing the Good: We asked all of us to take a second look into our lives and recognize where we are contributing to peace in our world, or as Jesus said, where we are being "peacemakers". With lament, the action is naming and repenting, with recognizing the good, the action is acknowledging and celebrating the ways we are actively making peace, and then moving more intently into those actions.
- Week 3: Joy - this next week we will talk about the elusive idea of Joy.
Have a great week, and we'll see you Sunday!
Matthew and Sarah